- Director, Program in Medical Ethics; Co-Director, Policy & Ethics Core
Education and Training
- Medical School: Stanford University
- Residency: University of California, Los Angeles, Stanford University
- Fellowship: Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Stanford University
Director, Regulatory Knowledge Support Program, Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute
Co-Chair, Standards Working Group, California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (sets policies for stem cell research funded by California)
Areas Of Interest
- Decisions about life-sustaining treatment
- Ethical issues in research, particularly stem cell research
- Conflicts of interest
Current Academic and/or Research Activities
Dr. Lo’s general research area is clinical medical ethics. Specific interests include: end-of-life care, talking to patients about palliative care ; the doctor-patient relationship, particularly the impact of the Internet; ethical issues regarding HIV infection; ethical issues in clinical and translational research, particularly stem cell research; conflicts of interest in research, clinical care, and medical education .
- Lo B. Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians. 4th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams &Wilkins, 2009.
- Lo B. Ethical Issues in Clinical Research: A Practical Guide. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams &Wilkins, 2009.
- White DB, Malvar G, Karr J, Lo B, Curtis JR. Expanding the paradigm of the physician’s role in surrogate decision-making: an empirically derived framework. Crit Care Med. Mar 01, 2010; 38(3):743-50.
- Lo B. Serving two masters–conflicts of interest in academic medicine. N Engl J Med. Feb 25, 2010; 362(8):669-71.
- Lo B, Parham L, Cedars M, Fisher S, Gates E, Giudice L, Halme DG, Hershon W, Kriegstein A, Rao R, Roberts C, Wagner R. NIH Guidelines for Stem Cell Research and Gamete Donors. Science. Feb 19, 2010; 327(5968):962-3.
- Lo B, Parham L, Alvarez-Buylla A, Cedars M, Conklin B, Fisher S, Gates E, Giudice L, Halme DG, Hershon W, Kriegstein A, Kwok PY, Wagner R. Cloning mice and men: prohibiting the use of iPS cells for human reproductive cloning. Cell Stem Cell. Jan 08, 2010; 6(1):16-20.
- Lo B, Grady D. Strengthening institutional review board review of highly innovative interventions in clinical trials. JAMA. Dec 23, 2009; 302(24):2697-8.
- Quill TE, Lo B, Brock DW, Meisel A. Last-resort options for palliative sedation. Ann Intern Med. Sep 15, 2009; 151(6):421-4.
- White DB, Evans LR, Bautista CA, Luce JM, Lo B. Are physicians’ recommendations to limit life support beneficial or burdensome? Bringing empirical data to the debate. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. Aug 15, 2009; 180(4):320-5.
- Aalto-Setälä K, Conklin BR, Lo B. Obtaining consent for future research with induced pluripotent cells: opportunities and challenges. PLoS Biol. Feb 24, 2009; 7(2):e42.
- Lo B, Parham L, Broom C, Cedars M, Gates E, Giudice L, Halme DG, Hershon W, Kriegstein A, Kwok PY, Oberman M, Roberts C, Wagner R. Importing human pluripotent stem cell lines derived at another institution: tailoring review to ethical concerns. Cell Stem Cell. Feb 06, 2009; 4(2):115-23.
- White DB, Katz MH, Luce JM, Lo B. Who should receive life support during a public health emergency? Using ethical principles to improve allocation decisions. Ann Intern Med. Jan 20, 2009; 150(2):132-8.
- Apatira L, Boyd EA, Malvar G, Evans LR, Luce JM, Lo B, White DB. Hope, truth, and preparing for death: perspectives of surrogate decision makers. Ann Intern Med. Dec 16, 2008; 149(12):861-8.
- Wolf LE, Catania JA, Dolcini MM, Pollack LM, Lo B. IRB Chairs’ Perspectives on Genomics Research Involving Stored Biological Materials: Ethical Concerns and Proposed Solutions. J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics. Dec 01, 2008; 3(4):99-111.
- Evans LR, Boyd EA, Malvar G, Apatira L, Luce JM, Lo B, White DB. Surrogate decision-makers’ perspectives on discussing prognosis in the face of uncertainty. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. Jan 01, 2009; 179(1):48-53.
- Schenker Y, Lo B, Ettinger KM, Fernandez A. Navigating language barriers under difficult circumstances. Ann Intern Med. Aug 19, 2008; 149(4):264-9.
- Martinez W, Lo B. Medical students’ experiences with medical errors: an analysis of medical student essays. Med Educ. Jul 01, 2008; 42(7):733-41.
- Lo B, Kriegstein A, Grady D. Clinical trials in stem cell transplantation: guidelines for scientific and ethical review. Clin Trials. Jan 01, 2008; 5(5):517-22.
- Lo B. Human papillomavirus vaccination programmes. BMJ. Aug 25, 2007; 335(7616):357-8.
- White DB, Curtis JR, Wolf LE, Prendergast TJ, Taichman DB, Kuniyoshi G, Acerra F, Lo B, Luce JM. Life support for patients without a surrogate decision maker: who decides? Ann Intern Med. Jul 03, 2007; 147(1):34-40.
- Lo B, Padian N, Barnes M. The obligation to provide antiretroviral treatment in HIV prevention trials. AIDS. Jun 19, 2007; 21(10):1229-31.
Last modified: December 4, 2014