The Methods Core provides technical support to CAPS researchers in the following areas:
- Sample size planning, statistical and epidemiological analysis, and study design
- Design and analysis of qualitative research
- Biomedical and behavioral measurement selection
- Data management
Core investigators also serve as collaborators on research projects needing more extensive technical support.
Core statisticians provide help for the following:
- research proposal development in sample size planning (statistical power calculation)
- study design
- questionnaire design
- choice of analysis methods
- post-award statistical consultation
- software recommendations for manuscript and conference presentation data analyses
- analysis of qualitative data
- behavioral and biomedical measurement selection and interpretation
- complex survey design, implementation, and analysis
- data management: Web-based data entry, choice of data entry and management systems
To request assistance in proposal development, contact Dr. Tor Neilands (415/597-9236). Please submit requests for assistance at least 4 weeks ahead of when budget and staffing information must be finalized.
Core scientists are available to offer peer review of conference abstracts, manuscripts, and proposals. Send peer review requests to Leslie Roos.
Seminars and Working Groups
We organize regular meetings of CAPS statisticians to discuss recent developments in statistical methods, applications of statistical software, and analytic issues arising in particular projects. CAPS researchers facing challenging analysis problems are welcome to present at these meetings.
The Qualitative Working Group (QWG) meets in person periodically, has an electronic forum to share ideas, tips, and mutual support, and is open to all. Contact Dr. Nicolas Sheon (415/597-9109) for more information on attending a QWG presentation or joining the online QWG networking group. For more information on qualitative methods, see books and links.
Methods Core Staff and Areas of Expertise
- Tor Neilands, Director: Behavioral statistics, questionnaire validation, SAS and SPSS computer programs
- Diane Binson: Behavioral measurement, complex surveys, probability-based sample designs
- Estie Hudes: Biostatistics, Stata computer program
- Edwin Charlebois: Epidemiology, biomedical measurement, data management
- Nicolas Sheon: Qualitative research methods, discourse analysis, Atlas.ti computer program, Transana software program
- Lance Pollack: Behavioral surveillance methods, complex sampling methods, SPSS computer program
- Steve Gregorich: Behavioral sciences statistics, longitudinal analysis, multilevel analysis, SAS computer program
Last modified: September 20, 2012